Now that our trailer is all dressed up and ready for prom (thanks for the joke, Mom), we BUILT OUR WALLS. Kind of. Partly. Expect this blog to have more entries as our build picks up.
Our framing is (mostly) done. Behold it before I explain it.
You can absolutely learn to frame your house by yourself. I mean, you can teach yourself all the Latin names for every species of frogs, too. The internet is a magical place. Our friends Aimee and Matt came up with their own tiny house framing plan using brainpower and graph paper, so it is definitely possible. For us, we hired Jeff Cuddeback. He was a life saver. He sped up the actual putting things together part, and also did a lot of problem solving. It would have taken us twice as long, easily, to do his work. We like Jeff. If you want to hire someone for framing, we think you should hire him.
We started by putting in our floor. Here is our floor. It’s very floor-y.
Some stuff to note about our not-as-exciting-as-walls floor… We put our subfloor directly onto our trailer frame. We glued this down with PL glue and exactly one million screws. Our buddy Steve helped us out and did a lot of annoying drilling into steel to make room for those screws. Anyway, normally a floor would have framing underneath it to hold your insulation. Since we are going to use spray foam, we are saving a 3.5 inches or so by tossing out that framing and just spray foaming the trailer underneath. Apparently, there is a coating you can spray over the foam to make sure it won’t be damaged by rocks and stuff when we move the house – the same thing they use under trucks. We are planning currently to put cork flooring directly on top of that, so our floor is going to be very minimal.
I’ll give it to you straight – our framing plan wasn’t perfect. OK, we didn’t exactly have a framing plan. We had all our lumber and stuff dropped off at the build site, and we printed off our sketch-up drawings solar Trevor (our only Trevor now, there can be only one), and we brought them out and gave them to Jeff.
But our windows weren’t drawn to the right size (our order was adjusted so our windows were regular manufacturing thus saving us the money we would spend on customizing our windows). Jeff is wonderful, figured it out and made the adjustments based on our actual window order.
Finally, we decided to pull the whole kitchen wall out instead of building a box for one of our storage tanks on that side. It seemed a little silly to build the box when we could be making our bedroom loft bigger and our framing easier. Since the water tank still has to go there, it’s going to give us a C shaped kitchen now, with the tank area on the end three inches higher than a normal countertop. With super technical experiments run in our kitchen, I have T-Rex arms when I try to chop 3 inches higher. So, the other countertops will stay the regular height (unless Kenton can convince me otherwise – good luck).
Kenton ran a tiny house workshop a couple days later, and the participants jumped in and helped out attaching hurricane ties and structural strapping! This is to make sure our house doesn’t get pulled apart from the wracking forces of moving the house anywhere and not for actual hurricanes, but I will feel a little more confident in Kansas after this.